Wednesday 26 January 2011

E-mail sent to Wolstenholme Projects

We are a group of seven second year JMU fine art students currently working on similarly themed pieces that we intend to exhibit during April. It has come to our attention through our course leaders that your venue is available for us to put together a group exhibition. Peter Appleton has passed on your email address for us to contact you regarding our proposal and to arrange for a convenient time for us to meet and to look around the space. We are working on diverse individual projects all based around the theme of Self-awareness and reflection. To follow are our brief individual proposals so that you can get a general idea of what we are hoping to achieve.
Rachel Armstrong-
I am currently working on a film piece based around the idea of anxiety. My aim is to create an installation piece in a room or boxed off area that contains multiple projected abstract film sequences. The intention is for the viewer to enter the boxed off area and experience a sense of unease and anxiety which is accentuated by a sense of claustrophobia. I feel that the Wolstenholme space would be ideal to show my piece in.            

Tasha Fewlass: ‘Me, Myself and Mind’-
The work I intend to produce for this project is based on myself, control and the struggle between wanting and letting. Using paper and text as the main resource with the addition of sound; I plan to repeat the process of cutting sheets of paper into singular strips containing the words that are repeated uncontrollably in my mind daily. I will hang these strips individually from the ceiling taking up the space of the room or corridor I am able to use. The purpose of the work is to invite the viewer to walk in and around the piece, giving them a sense of claustrophobia and an insight into my life and mind.

Kieran Harris: “The future is a present from the past”
My project is all about realising situations and opinions and trying to voice them someway, to see how people perceive different actions, I have drawn on personal relationships such as my relationship with my father and then creating intimate work that has a sense of strength and honesty. Since Christmas moving on from the “I ASPIRED ONCE” piece, this work is based around my life and its story. My intentions are for this gallery based work that it will be the continuation from that and how I have become inspired since. I will show this by using a mixed variety of media such as song, paintings, drawings, poems and is why I feel the Wolstenholme space is ideal to hold this work.

Will Facer-
The modern world has mixed opinions of the rate of industrialisation. Some argue that the convenience of the city gives the worthless man opportunities, whereas others argue that it destroys individualism, and creates a wealth of waste, pollution and exploitation. As a new student moving from a small town in Cheshire, my work has been heavily inspired by the continuing beauty of the Liverpool city landscape; the thought of the hours of labour invested in the original architecture and the night scene filled with the extraordinarily lit streets and buildings. In my latest project, I have used photography and digital media to create a series of images, which reflect the idea that ‘a corner of the city can tell 1000 stories.’ These images focus on urban decay and the symbolism of time passing.

Louise Hastings-
My current work has ultimately been inspired by Joseph Cornell's boxes. I have been incorporating personal nostalgic objects and imagery, with pieces/photos from second hand shops (buying other peoples memories). Observers are encouraged to work out their own connections between the objects in the boxes, forming their own narrative. For this exhibition I plan to ‘think outside the box’, by keeping the form of a box without the physicality of a box structure, potentially through suspending collected items to form an assemblage. Preferably this would be set up in the corner of a room within the Wolstenholme space.

Rhia Brennan-
The latest project I have been working on consisted of purely exploring the process of the creation of art: the gathering, sorting, cutting, and patterning. By doing so I was trying to communicate a creative response where the end product was not the main focus. However this has led me onto considering the practical element of the project and coming to a conclusion; which has seen me go onto devising and staging a performance/event. Since this I have identified that I wish to create some site-specific work. Having visited the Wolstenholme Creative Space many of times I am intrigued by its bare and eerie qualities; it is a very unique building. I propose to make a work based on the particularities and the conditions of that space, which makes an intervention or generates an experience.

Freya Addy-
My current artistic practice is about dealing with the idea of my own personal battle with anxiety and ‘over thinking’. I am using process as a way of controlling my excessive and irrational thoughts. I do this by continually writing down my thoughts in an almost automatic state in an attempt to absolve myself of redundant and stale thoughts. The concept being that if my sporadic thoughts are written down, they subliminally leave my body and consciousness. My current aim for a final exhibition is to apply this process to a wall in an ephemeral material, giving the piece a sense of temporality.

Our ideal dates for the exhibition would be April the 18th 19th and 20th as our Final review is on April the 22nd. Could let us know when would be a good date to arrange a meeting and have a look around the space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment