Monday 24 January 2011

Other Artists: Inviting the Viewer

Instead of looking at artists who have worked in a similar way as I am doing, I thought about how they as an artist have invited the viewer into their works; giving an insight as to what their work may be about, involving them into the work almost...as I am trying to do with mine.
Straight away I thought about Tracey Emin and her piece 'Everyone I have ever slept with',
which is a tent appliquéd with 102 names of the people she had slept with up to the time of its creation in 1995. The title is often misinterpreted as a euphemism
indicating sexual partners and the work termed "a list of all the people that Emin has ever had sex with", but is in fact to be taken as a literal statement: "Some I'd had a shag with in bed or against a wall some I had just slept with, like my grandma. I used to lay in her bed and hold her hand. We used to listen to the radio together and nod off to sleep. You don't do that with someone you don't love and don't care about."


I suppose a selection of Tracey Emin's works link well with what I am doing at the minute, especially 'The Tent' as she too works personally, relating her ideas to herself and things that have happened in her life. In this particular piece I like how the piece invites the viewer into the tent to read everything written; inviting them into her life almost.  It also made me think about how my own work may be percieved as it isn't particularly obvious as to what the work is about. Although I am sure that the sound I am putting together to play alongside the piece will push it a little further in the right direction.


Another artist I though about is Banksey and his street art and how the work can be seen unintentionally in passing by the viewer. Our work and ideas don't link in the slightest but I love the idea of the art been out on the streets like his, giving people the chance to see 'art' without having to visit a show or exhibition. Although for the work I am producing at the minute, I would much rather see it presented in a proffesional environment. Not only would it create a much stronger atmosphere in a room as a whole but I would much prefer knowing that someone has took the time to come and visit the work in the exhibition space, instead of passing by it in the street. 

No comments:

Post a Comment