Tuesday 2 November 2010

Wednesday 20th October

Leggate Theatre
Artist Performance- Andy Houlden
'Three Short Walks In Time'

I did'nt know anything about Andy Houlden or his work before seeing this performance, although I was suprised at what I saw. To be fair, I don'y know what I expected but I was nicely taken back when I saw the live orcestra and conductor with the set up on the stage.  I have never seen anything like this before, especially in art work but it was deffinately a great experience.
I enjoyed every part of the piece although I cant say I really understood what the work was actually about besides it investigating the relationship between sculptural objects and duration. The first word that comes to mind about the music is 'beautiful', it instantly made me feel relaxed and kind of made me shut off from everything around me. I found myself in a transe almost watching the conductor and his gentle, perfectly excecuted movement- he too was part of the art. It was also nice to see the connection between the artist and the the act, it gave me the impression that the work may be personal to himself almost. It made me question myself as to what he was trying to say through the performance. 
I found each section of the performance had a repetative process, from the images, the act in which he used the marbles, the video clips, sound to Andy himself speaking through a section of the work. I likes this incorporation to the work; 'We sat together the mountain and I till only the mountain remained'.
I think it creates a stronger reaction  and makes you remember the work. It reminds me of my work in a way, repetition is a key element in my development, representing 'control'...It was nice to see this in a different context and environment.
I suppose in a way, the performance made me question art and how in this particular work the musci speaks for itself and so the simplicity and unusual incorporations of the other elements worked really well. It has deffinately made me think about experimenting and maybe using music and sound in my own work. I think it gives art a completely different outcome and reaction, making it stronger as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment