Wednesday 10 November 2010

Wednesday 10th November

Liverpool Biennial Touched
Public Realm


 The mixed media outdoor installation by Do Ho Suh 'Bridging Home' was a piece I was really excited to see although on arrival I was a little disappointed; I expected it to have a more appealing outcome, giving me a stronger reaction, which I can't say it did. However I love how bringing the art outside of a gallery space and into a public space gives the community an opportunity to see art by just simply passing by; and I don't think the work would have the same effect or give the same statement if it was presented indoors either.
I love the reasoning behind the work; being split between two realms, Korea being his home country and America his adoptive one and bridging these two parts of his life together. And now knowing the reasoning behind the work, I’m definitely inspired by the installation and his ideas; it has made me think further into how my work can be presented and exhibited in the future.

                                      http://beat-city-images.co.uk/wordpress/?p=32

 Tala Madani's commission 'Sunny Side Up', looks politically and personally on the issues of sexual and cultural identity in which men in particular are her recurrent subjects; raising a lively public debate around the fine line that conventionally separates decorum from vulgarity when it comes to the representation of men and the instrumental use of their body in the public arena. Depicted in a cartoon like, almost surreal exaggeration, the images appear more abstract to me due to the sheer size of the mural; which definitely grabs your attention when passing by. I love the simplicity of this piece and how the longer you stare at it, things begin to look different and almost change, whether this is purposely the case or if it was my eyes deceiving me. I personally saw what looked to be two rows of women laid on their backs with legs in the air, showing their black knickers...others around me saw different.
Again, exhibiting the piece outside of a gallery space, almost like an advertisement, the work gave a stronger statement as a whole....grabbing much more ‘accidental’ attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment