Thursday 28 April 2011

Tuesday 26th April

On arrival at the Student Union on the morning of the exhibition day I was instantly panicked; nerves had definitely taken over and I was far from positive about the night ahead. I think because of the small amount of time I had and with no help to hang the work I knew that the reality was not getting the piece up and finished in time for 7 o'clock; which became much clearer as time went on. By 3 o'clock I definitely knew this was the case and
started making mistakes and ripping the paper due to rushing...stress became very apparent. Although once Rhia Brennan (a member of the group) had finished the set up of her work she came to lend a helping hand by passing me up the strips so I could hang them. This made the process much quicker and helped alot which was more than appreciated.

I also had a problem with the CD player I was using to play my edited sound recording as it wouldn't play the disc as it was copied material. The building also didn't have one available for me to borrow and so I had to buy one that would play the disc along with a repeat setting for the track to play repeatedly.

 By 7 o'clock people began arriving which made the situation much more stressful as the work was still no were near finished; but I continued as fast as I could. I am very disappointed by how this turned out, not only for myself but for the people who came to see the work and I kept waiting....this was the case until 10 o'clock; and so I had missed the events of the night and the fun of the event and still wasn't particularly happy with the room.

Once everyone had left the building, I entered the room for one last time before the next day and I instantly noticed that alot of the strips had been knocked down....accidental or purposely I don't know. And so I returned first thing the next day to rearrange and order the strips ready for the start of the second show starting at 4 o'clock. I was definitely much happier with the piece at this point as I had the time to set it up how I wanted it and so the experience became much more enjoyable; and I became more than eager for people to see and experience the piece, talking to many of them about the work afterwards which was definitely rewarding and worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment