Thursday 21 April 2011

Thursday 21st April

As arranged, we met up as a group today at the Student Union to begin the set up of our individual pieces. The rooms had already been cleared of computers and tables and so we were able to get started on arrival, but first of all I had to drag all of my bags of strips from storage at the university to the exhibition space. On each trip I lost my way around the building and so on the nights of the exhibition it will be important for us to put together signs to direct the visitors to the areas of work.

As I began to start measuring up the room and space of the ceiling to hang my strips, I came across my first problem....the light fittings which are in the ceiling are un able to get covered with the
card I bought especially as the fixtures are too delicate and so I altered the route of the pathway leading through the piece to try and avoid these areas. This worked well and so I planned the route before I began positioning the strips. I decided on attatching the strips to the ceiling using pins, which seemed to hold firmly to my relief, although it took much longer than I had hoped and so on leaving the building at 5 o'clock I have only a third of the piece up. Therefore I only have the Tuesday day time before the exhibition to get this finished due to the building being closed throughout the weekend and bank holidays, although I have worked my way around the problems and so I should be able to get the work up quicker. The group also seemed happy to help me get this finished, as the majority of their pieces simply just need hanging...etc. We will also get the building ready for the exhibition before returning again at 6 o'clock, alongwith the food and drink; eager and waiting on the arrivals for the show starting at 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment