Thursday 10 March 2011

Personal Development Planning Questionnaire

Relevant Questions

Describe a piece of architecture, art, design or music that has caught your attention recently and why?
-  I have recently come across an installation piece called ‘Bed’ by Antony Gormley. It caught my attention at the Tate Gallery first of all because of its size and positioning in the room but on approaching the piece; I found it fascinating yet quite bizarre to find the work was made out of bread as it wasn’t expected from a distance. After reading the information on the piece, I became more intrigued to the connotation of the bread’s usage and the explanation behind the work. I also found that it linked in well with the representation of the work I am creating at the minute. 

Give a favourite example of each of the following that you've seen/read recently...
Book/ Journal: - ‘Malice. Danielle Steel’
Film/ DVD/ Video/ TV: - TV Documentary: Antony Gormley ‘Making Spaces’
Exhibition: - Nam June Paik
Other/ Outside Interests: - Dance
Have you sighed up for any of the School Skill Sets: - Yes, recently. The Audacity Workshop

What skills and attributes have you developed since your last review?
- Since my last review I have been introduced to the ‘Audacity Software’ by Peter Appleton. I found this programme exceptionally interesting and was quick to learn the process of the programme and the purpose and use of the majority of the tools. I would say that this has definitely helped with the development of my work; having a positive impact on my recent piece alongside my practice as a whole as the software could be re-introduced in other works now that I am aware of how to use it.

Is there anything specific you'd like to discuss during your review?
- No, nothing in particular. I am quite happy with the development of my work at the minute. Although I am a little unsure about which module’s which for an upcoming assessment, which I’m sure can be over looked in my review.  

Give some details about all of your most recent projects. It's expected that some work may be still be 'in progress'.
Project title: Fine Art Practice
Identify aspects of this project that you're pleased with...
- I am happy with my overall development for this project so far. My sound piece is complete, which I am more than pleased with and the cutting process of my strips of text for the piece I intend to exhibit is still in process, although my plans and visions for what I aim to achieve is definitely positive.

Identify aspects of this project that you could improve...
- I could improve the technology my sound piece is played on; as I am having difficulty with transferring my media onto the correct sort of ‘player’, as I am a little unsure of what to use or how to even do it. At the minute I am looking into purchasing a small CD player especially for the exhibition as I don’t want the piece to be seen by the viewer.

Project title: - Fine Art Practice and Publication
Identify aspects of this project that you're pleased with...
- I am pleased with how I have managed to adapt to group work as I have always preferred working individually, although I can’t say it hasn’t been difficult to work around different opinions. I also feel that I am relating my work, ideas and progress appropriately and sufficiently on my on-line blog.

Identify aspects of this project that you could improve...
- I suppose the communication and organisation between the group could be improved. We have a group facebook page in which we all post information, ideas, images, conversations and anything else related to our individual works or the exhibition; as a way of keeping in touch and updating one another whilst showing our development.  Although a few of the group members don’t seem to be getting involved with the planning and decision making or attending meetings, which is disappointing.

Project title: Contemporary Art and Globalisation
Identify aspects of this project that you're pleased with...
- I have found that this module is definitely essential to the development of my work, making a break from the creative side of this course to write, which has become an important part of my studies; alongside looking at art in a broader aspect instead of just works that I’m particularly fond of or that relate to my own works. I have also enjoyed and benefited from reading around the topic of Globalisation which I am finding surprisingly interesting.

Identify aspects of this project that you could improve...
- If I’m honest, I am finding difficulty in the writing process of putting my essay together. I feel like I have a lot to say around the main lecture series I decided to write about, ‘Exhibitions and artists’; and being quite a broad subject,  it seems that a 2000 word limit isn’t quite enough. I have the information and the points I want to include, it’s just the structuring of the essay together correctly that I admit to finding hard this semester.

Are you attending Lectures organised by relevant external organisations? Which was the most interesting and why?
-  I have attended all of the lectures and talks so far, given to us by various artists and graduate students from all over. I was especially interested in the talk given to us by James Iveson, as I found the way he spoke about art in general enjoyable alone; I also found his work and ideas quite out of the ordinary, focusing on strange objects, such as, Underpants.

Do you take an active role in any Student Society? How?
-  I wouldn’t say I have any role in any Student Society in particular, although I have been working with a group of first year students, along with two members of the Royal Standard and Rick Creed on a module leading up to a group exhibition held at the Royal Standard organisation. I can’t say I’ve had a particular role in the module but sitting in with the group meetings and discussing work plans and the student’s ideas is definitely interesting and has made me think further into the development of my own work.

How have you started to engage with stage 2 of the World of Work: Organisational Awareness?
- I have recently started the second stage of the World of Work; making notes for each of the questions listed. Although I havn’t yet answered the questions in depth as I plan to get my essay and dissertation proposal finished first.

No comments:

Post a Comment