Thursday 28 October 2010

Wednesday 6th October

Liverpool Biennial Touched
A Foundation visit



The A Foundation has most probably been my favourite exhibition visit so far. I found the space alone really interesting, and how there seemed to be a contrast between old and new qualities combined together. I think this made it appear a more interesting art space and well organised. I also liked how there was a member of the A Foundation team there to guide us around the space and to answer any of our questions about the work, which they answered well and in great depth, giving us a better understanding and insight into the work.
The works in this exhibition made me think much more about my own work and how differently similar topics can be expressed and presented.


The artist that fascinated me beyond anything was Sachiko Abe with her performance, drawing, film and sculptural installations, 'Cut Paper, 2010', which I am sure most people have also stated.
On first entering the room, I didn't notice the artist herself sat above, performing as part of the work. I was automatically distracted by the huge collection of paper cuttings set up in the centre of the room, alongside the sound of the cutting of the paper, (which I later discovered was a live sound coming from the microphone which was attactched o her scissors).

Exploring duration, repetition and constraints over the last seven years is beyond a commitment to the work. I found the whole process of continuous routine mesmerising, I could have literally stayed and watched her throughout her daily sessions.
Although Sachiko Abe states herself "my work is neither beautiful nor meditational", I found for me this was the case. The set up of the paper alone is beautiful, and so perfectly cut. And it seems like she was in a transe like state almost doing this, unaware of her surroundings and the many people walking in and out of the room, as if she just switched off. However, I noticed at one point that she stopped cutting as people were making to much noise, they distracted her, which she later apologised for later as she passed us.


The drawing works I also loved, which like 'Cut Papers', Abs spends intensive durational periods of time drawing, producing an intricate graphic weave, again transforming a white sheet of paper. Again these works are beautiful and deffinitely intreguing. I felt mself staring at the precise detail. I'm amazed at how she got eac tiny circle shape the same by hand, I also really like the bottom of the large piece, it looked like a ripped edge of a sheet of paper and kneeling on the cushions which were provided on the floor made it easier to see the detail- feeling almost part of the work. I feel I connected with these series of drawings as it reminded me of works I did in the past of repetitious writing.

I also found the video piece really interesting and again quite medative but I preffered to watch her in person, I felt more connected. I am so glad that I've had the opportunity to see her work, it was definitely an experience.

The performance, video and photography works by Anitti Laitinen I also found quite interesting. I enjoyed the personal endurance he commited into his collection of his works and his almost dilusional imagination thats quite obvious to see in the extremely demanding  tasks. Although there was only certain pieces I really loved.

'Walk the line', I personally really enjoyed. The end combined piece caught my eye straight away, even more so after been told that the lines of his face were created by walking through the forest with a devise attatched to him capturing his movement. The idea alone is a great one and links perfectly with his other works and ideas.

I also found myself attracted to the installation 'Three Stones', which simply held three stones in which he collected after 7 minutes, 7 hours and 7 days of digging a huge hole in the floor. I'm unsure as to why I like this so much, it's beyond simplicity but presented alone with the information in a glass case I think worked really well, especially next to the huge photograph which was presented on the wall next to it.

The colection of works by The New Contempories was also very interesting to see as a viewer and fellow art student. I enjoyed the range of different works and ideasand how each of the artst have expressed and the theme touched.
I particularly enjoyed the 2D animation 'Cut' by Kristian de la Riva, and found myself watching the piece a number of times. The simpleline drawings in black and white worked really well together and I found the piece abserloutly hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing but at times cringing. This piece stood out to me from all the others and I think it's definitely an interesting way to explore 'touched'.



Sachiko Abe 'Cut Papers'
http://www.afoundation.org.uk/liverpool/details.php?id=57

Anitti Laitinen 'Walk the line'
http://www.afoundation.org.uk/liverpool/details.php?id=56

Kristian de la Riva 'Cut'
http://apartment-project.blogspot.com/2009/12/kristian-de-la-riva-on-his-work.html

No comments:

Post a Comment