Thursday 28 October 2010

Wednesday 29th September

Liverpool Biennial Touched
Seel Street visit


Overall I found this particular exhibition quite strange. The space alone didn't appear as an 'ordinary' gallery space which was interesting and the order and feel of the layout was un-usual, but I liked that, I liked that I was a little unaware of my surroundings and the different works that were presented.
I became aware that none of the works were typically traditional (i.e. paintings, drawings, photography), but more so installation, vidio and sound based works which I am not very familiar with. Although after the visit I feel I can relate more so to this type of work. I enjoyed most of the pieces, they all worked really well as an exhibition together and the balance in the rooms were just right...it wasn't overwhelming.
I enjoyed the experience because it was different, and I am loving the visits every week as I feel as though I am becoming more aware of art and the different organisations around us. Although because the building was ridiculously cold, it kind of ruined my experience as it made me want to leave to get some were warmer.

Most of the works presented in the space interested me in different ways but the one piece in particular that impacted on me the most was the vidio Installation by Jani Ruscica 'Beatbox'. This piece was the last I saw and instantly raised my spirits, making me smile without being aware, I found myself tapping and moving to the sound, beats and music in the installation, making me want to dance.
Interperating and Imitating the sounds of their surroundings through beatbox and dance, I think it's a great contrast with the nature and cultural context. I love how the subject of hip hop and beatbox, something so different and seperate to art, incorporated with vidio can work so well, depicting the environment of urban metropolis.
At one point through watching the vidio, I almost forgot were I was, I became fixated on the dance and the different sounds made...It all linked together really well in my opinion.
I wouldn't say this piece has influenced my work at the minute, although it has given me an insight on vidio works and how well sound can be incorporated.


Another piece I found really interesting was the video installation by Clemencia Echeverri 'Voz'. Sitting in the room in which the vidio was shown, I instantly felt a little uncomfortable and strange. The very slow movement of the clips (which at first I was unsure wether this was the case or if it was my eyes diseaving me) and the range of sounds incorporated that exist in prisons was a great contrast, the speed of the movement is what made the work so interesting. I felt myself going into a transe almost , staring at the same image and listening to the different sounds, trying to guess what each sound was. I liked that I was unaware, eliminating the sense of identity, and focusing more on the sounds that were incorporated.
I enjoyed how the piece made me feel, unaware of my surroundings and just simply listening. The flowing of the clips was interesting, showing me the range of techniques that can be used in vidio installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment